Thursday, September 25, 2008

I've got to do something...


I was watching the news and commentaries on television last night and, as usual, had to walk away. It's so depressing. Energy crisis, violence, selfishness, deception, gossip, vanity...on and on. I'm sick to death of it but I can't stop thinking about it. My problem is that I want it to be better but I feel so utterly useless. What difference could I make? Hopelessness was starting to eat at me. Then I read Jessica's blog about the Nobel Peace Prize nominee, Irena Sendler (thanks Jess). If you're interested, please check out her blog at commonmommydenominator.blogspot.com. Here is someone who DID SOMETHING. She was one person but she inspired others. To every person whose life she saved, she made HUGE difference. She has inspired me. I can't solve world hunger but I can feed the people in my community who are hungry. I can volunteer, I can get involved. I can do something, too. So, I started researching online and found a really great site: http://www.volunteersolutions.org/vctucson/volunteer/ because it lets you choose where you want to help, how much you want to help and what you can do to get started. I'm starting by volunteering Sunday nights. I prepare a meal and take to a nearby parking lot where dozens of other volunteers meet (courtesy of the Giving Tree Organization) to set up tables and chairs and feed the homeless. I found out that there are over 2000 homeless children in Tucson alone. That is shocking. That makes my problems seem small. It gives me perspective and gratitude. I can do something. I WILL do something. Will you?

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I believe it was Mother Teresa that said, "You can do no great thing, only small things with great love". We don't have to look far to see a need and reach out. In fact, we can start with our families, our neighborhoods, our community, etc. How nice of you to be proactive and I have learned that when I am focused on others I forget myself. Also when I'm serving others it puts my problems in perspective.

Jessica Martiele said...

Okay, I'm going to volunteersolutions right now. Awesome. Plus, it'll be a great lesson for the kids. Thanks, Jewels!